Osler-Weber-Rendu Disease Treatment
If you are looking for the most advanced and specialized treatment for Osler-Weber-Rendu Disease (Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia), we can help. At the Vascular Birthmark Institute of New York, we extend a wealth of experience and expertise when it comes to all vascular lesions.
We are pleased to offer patients our multidisciplinary team approach to patient care. Our practice includes specialists such as pediatric facial plastic surgeons, endovascular surgeons as well as dermatologists, pediatric hematology-oncologists and more. Dr. Waner and his staff make it a priority to provide world-class care in the diagnosis, treatment, management and research of all vascular birthmarks and conditions, including HHT.
- Help for Patients Suffering From Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia
- Osler-Weber-Rendu disease is an inherited disorder that causes the development of abnormal blood vessels, or arteriovenous malformations. This disease can cause excessive bleeding and the malformations can occur in multiple areas of the body. When there is skin involvement, the lesions are referred to as telangiectasias. We have effectively helped patients who suffer from hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia.
- Telangiectasias most often occur on the face, chest and hands. They are small, widened blood vessels that can be bright red or purple, and they typically blanch with pressure. Unfortunately, telangiectasias increase in number as you age. At Vascular Birthmark Institute, we combine our multidisciplinary physician approach with our state-of-the-art facility and advanced technology to provide patients with solutions for hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT). We offer a wide range of treatment options including surgery, laser therapy, sclerotherapy and more. We also deliver unmatched expertise for patients who have port wine stains, a common characteristic of Osler-Weber-Rendu disease.
- If you or someone you know is suffering from the unwanted symptoms of Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome, contact our office today. We have a team of specialists waiting to help you get the specialized treatment you deserve to reduce the appearance of arteriovenous malformations on your skin.
- Nevus and other birthmarks
- We provide diagnosis and treatment of various pigmented and nonpigmented nevi. In cases where surgery is indicated, we use similar principles of facial plastic surgery to remove the lesion with excellent results.
- Children and adults with NF-1 (Neurofibromatosis Type 1) may present with plexiform neurofibromas. These lesions can be disfiguring and infiltrate tissues and affect bony growth. We can perform surgery to remove tumors, and create facial symmetry.
- Midfacial lesions where facial nerve is at risk of injury.
- In many cases, the rumor or malformation will surround the facial nerve (nerve which activates all muscles of facial expression). At VBINY, we have developed nerve monitoring techniques which allow the surgeon a preview of the nerve map, then while working with a skilled neurophysiologist, we actively monitor nerve activity throughout the surgery. The technique was developed at our institution and we are the only team using this specific method.
- Facial Nerve weakness and reanimation
- Some patients present with facial weakness or paralysis after surgery. Our facial nerve expert can evaluate and treat with reconstructive surgery. A dynamic smile can be restored.